Position: Communications Director, Full time, with periodic evenings and weekends required
Areas of Focus: Marketing, Outreach, Digital media, Print publications, Journalism, Media relations
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Reports to: Executive Director
Application deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled
Start Date: ASAP
CAIR-Georgia is the Georgia chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest civil liberties and advocacy group serving the Muslim community. Our mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, protect civil liberties, and empower Muslims in America to advocate for themselves. From restrictions placed on Muslims to practice their religion, to profiling and discrimination stemming from a lack of understanding of Islam, the need for CAIR in Georgia is great. CAIR-Georgia strives to ensure that Muslims in Georgia enjoy the same protections that all Americans have.
The Georgia chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR-Georgia) is looking for a talented and committed individual to fill the Communications and Outreach Director position to oversee marketing, outreach, and media relations for the organization. They will report to the Deputy Director.
- Direct media campaigns and projects to create community-wide awareness of CAIR-Georgia’s work
- Maintain the website and social media presence including regular updates and the creation of original content
- Send out email newsletters and updates to community members regularly
- Leverage social/digital media and analytics to develop relationships with the community
- Create/manage graphic design, photography, layout, video editing and other multimedia needs,
- Create/manage creation of marketing materials such as posters, flyers, print newsletters, email newsletters, and announcements while upholding brand awareness and standards in all marketing materials
- Research and implement use of new technologies to enhance CAIR Georgia’s communications (as needed)
- Ensure all communications adhere to CAIR’s core values and mission and upholds journalistic standards
- Develop and strengthen relationships with journalists, editors, bloggers, and other media professionals
- Proactively work with media to generate comprehensive coverage of Islam and American Muslims
- Prepare press releases and organize press conferences
- Conduct and coordinate media interviews and prepare statements and talking points
- Write opinion pieces and letters
- Supervise staff and interns to support communications and outreach departmental needs
- Work with Islamic centers, MSAs, other faith and marginalized communities and communities of color on a variety of social justice issues
- Recruit and establish relationships with volunteers and community activists
- Provide presence at relevant organizations’ (colleges, nonprofits, mosques, etc.) events, activities, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Communications/Public Relations/Journalism or related field
- 5+ years of experience, post-graduation
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills; knowledge of AP style preferred
- Experience in Adobe Creative Cloud preferred
- Highly motivated, self-initiating and energetic
- Experience working with non-profit organizations and Muslim community desired
- Must have the capability to work on multiple projects or tasks at a time
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook software
- Ability to work well on tight deadlines
- Experience with public speaking
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive for events and outreach
- Familiarity with Google Analytics preferred
- Experience facilitating the research and development of content for publication including annual reports preferred
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
Compensation and benefits
- $60,000 – $65,000 DOE
- Generous vacation, holiday, and sick leave policies
- Reimbursement for health care coverage
Interested candidates should apply via email to [email protected], and include the following as PDF attachments:
- Cover letter addressing your interest in the position, relevant experience, and particular interest and/or experience in civil rights issues as they affect the Muslim community
- Resume summarizing your education, qualifications, and experience, including any relevant community-grounded advocacy or experience
- Writing sample (no more than 10 pages)
- Three professional references and their contact information (email and phone)
Please indicate “2023 Communications Director” in the subject line.
Salary commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter with your résumé, 2 samples of relevant work, and three professional references to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Applications accepted until position is filled.